Programs are accredited by New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC)
Learn from industry professionals and leading scholars at UB
Earn your degree from anywhere, on your schedule
Interaction and feedback from your instructors
Personalized, one-on-one advising
Online classes with the support of an established, campus location
The University of Bridgeport has been offering online degree programs since 1997, when we launched our M.S. in Human Nutrition. As the first university to offer an online master’s program in the state of Connecticut, we are proud of our rich history and tradition in online learning. Many of our programs have received recognition from U.S. News and World Report. We pride ourselves on our accomplished faculty and our commitment to student success. Learn more about our distance education programs.
Meet our Online Faculty
At the University of Bridgeport, our faculty are dedicated to online learning. Many faculty hold the highest degrees in their field and have extensive work experience. With a strong commitment to helping you succeed, our online faculty look forward to helping you meet your goals.
- Doctor of Science in Nutritional Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health
- Masters of Science in Human Nutrition, University of Bridgeport
- Masters of Science in Exercise Science, Queens College
- Bachelor of Arts, Villanova University
- Certified Dietitian/Nutritionist: State of New York
- Certified Nutrition Specialist: American College of Nutrition
- Certified Personal Trainer: American Council on Exercise
Favorite Thing About Teaching Online: I’d have to say I have two favorite things about online teaching. The first is the flexibility it provides to focus on educational goals while still paying proper attention to work and family responsibilities. The second is the relationships I build with my students. I teach courses in Research Methods and Biostatistics, two fields that can be a bit overwhelming and even intimidating at first. I really enjoy watching my students grow in their knowledge and confidence in these fields as the semester progresses. The ability to conduct and properly interpret research is what makes a doctorate an expert in their field. It is a lot of fun for me to be a small part of that transformation.
- Ph.D. in Biomedical Health Sciences, Rutgers University
- M.S. in Nutrition, University of Bridgeport
Why UB: With its twenty year reputation of online excellence, outstanding support services and state of the art online learning platforms, I am proud to be part of UB’s online family.
- Masters of Science in Nursing, Nursing Education, University of Hartford
- Bachelor of Science Nursing, Southern Connecticut State University
- Bachelor of Science Public Health, Southern Connecticut State University
- Medical/Surgical Nursing from the Academy of Medical-Surgical Nurses (AMSN)
Best Advice for Online Students: Online learning offers flexibility for the adult student looking to return for their BSN. Adult students have many responsibilities such jobs, spouses, children and many haven’t been in a classroom for years. My advice is figure out a balance between work, school and family, it is all important. Time management, organization, and staying connected with the professors are tools for success.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice, Clinical Leadership, Case Western Reserve University
- Masters of Science in Nursing, Board Certified Adult Nurse Practitioner, University of Pennsylvania
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing, DeSales University
- National League of Nursing, Certified Nurse Educator
Favorite Thing About Teaching Online: What I love about online teaching is that working professionals can have discussions with each other that would never happen if it were not for the online environment. It opens up so many new opportunities for students to share and learn about unfamiliar places, social issues, professional challenges and so much more.
- Ed.D. in Educational Leadership from Southern Connecticut State University
Why UB? I actually earned by B.S. in Elementary Education from UB in 1976, and my M.S. in Reading the following year. (I also completed coursework in mathematics which allowed me to become certified as a secondary math teacher, in addition to an elementary teacher and reading consultant.) Returning to UB to teach 40 years later was like a homecoming to me. When students take online classes from UB, they can rest assured that this university actually exists in brick and mortar, not just virtually. The campus is beautiful (located right on Long Island Sound), the professors are happy (and so committed to excellence!), and the student body is so wonderfully diverse. UB is an amazing place to learn and grow – on campus and online!
- Ph.D. in Information Systems, Nova Southeastern University
- MBA in Marketing, University of Connecticut
- PMP Certification from the Project Management Institute
Best Advice for Online Students: Succeeding in the online MBA is like going to the gym. For optimal results, do something towards it every day. Since the semester is relatively short it is best to evaluate the syllabus and establish a study plan. Our most successful students devise a plan that works for them, work the plan and keep on top of their deliverables.
- Juris Doctor, University of Connecticut
- Master of Science, New England College of Business
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Connecticut
- Legal Counsel and Chief Human Resources Officer
Favorite Thing About Online Teaching: The online learning format provides a very special opportunity to be connected to each student. I enjoy the rich and engaging discussions and learn so much from every class. Students contribute beyond what they learn in the textbook by applying the material in real time and then sharing their experiences with the class. Most importantly, the online format helps further critical/soft skills required to be successful in today’s workplace.
- D. C., Doctor of Chiropractic
- B.S., Anatomy
- B.S., Health and Wellness
- CNS, Certified Nutrition Specialist
- DACBN, Diplomate, American Clinical Board of Nutrition
- DCBCN, Diplomate, Chiropractic Board of Clinical Nutrition
- Examination and Item Writer’s Committees of American Board of Clinical Nutrition
Favorite Thing About Teaching Online: What I really like about online teaching is the potential of a lot of one-on-one interaction if you want to as well as learning from other students through discussion boards and online assignments.
- Ph.D., Nova Southeastern University
- MBA, Florida International University
Best Tip for Online Students: Manage your time wisely. Another tip is stay connected with your professor and classmates
- D.Ed., De La Salle University
- Diplôme (Hons.). Diplôme Supérieur (D.S.) , University of Paris-Sorbonne
- B.A. magna cum laude,University of Notre Dame
- Diplomate, French Ministry of National Education/ Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Paris
- Fulbright (France 2013)
Why UB? UB has the longest history of online programming of any school in the State of Connecticut. We have a number of well-established online programs. You will find that your professors are professionals in the respective fields, committed to making your experience valuable and enjoyable. In the Global Development & Peace program where I teach, students and instructors alike share a commitment to further international understanding and intercultural communication through study, research, and practice.
- Chiropractic Physician
- Master of Science, University of Bridgeport
Best Thing about Teaching Online: I love teaching future practitioners about the power of nutrition and functional medicine. I want to prepare them for the real world of clinical practice so that they have the tools to change people’s lives. UB is the national leader for the on-line MS program in Human Nutrition!
- Doctor of Science in Management Systems
- PMP certification (Project Management Professional)
- CQM/OE Certification Certified Quality Manager/Organizational Excellence
- CSCP Certification Certified Supply Chain Professional
Favorite Thing About Teaching Online: In-depth Interaction with every student. You really get to know them as individuals. Understanding about what the student is passionate about. And how the course work helps them improve what they do at work.
- Ph.D. Economics, Cornell University
- Master of Arts in Teaching, Johns Hopkins University
- Master of Statistics, Indian Statistical Institute
- World Bank (retired)
Favorite Thing About Teaching Online: It is like teaching and connecting with students from any part of the world for almost 24 hours, at ones own pace for both students and faculty.
- BS, Adelphi University
- MS, Long Island University
- MS, University of Bridgeport
- Certified Nutrition Specialist
Favorite Thing About Teaching Online: There are so many things I love about teaching at UB, from the cutting edge curriculum to the functional approach to health to the dedicated and knowledgeable faculty with whom I have the honor to work. However, my absolute favorite thing is the passionate and diverse group of students that are in our program and who make teaching a true joy.
- M.S. Behavioral Science
- Senior Business Executive
Favorite Thing About Teaching Online: My favorite thing about teaching online is the active participation from students, compared to the more passive participation in the classroom setting. Active self-teaching can build strong, long-term memories to enhance learning.
- J.D., Juris Doctor (Law)
- D.C., Doctor of Chiropractic
- M.P.H., Master of Public Health (Nutrition)
- M.S., Master of Science (Cellular Biology)
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts (Psychology)
- B.S., Bachelor of Science (Biology)
Best Tip for Online Students: Online students must be highly motivated and up to the challenge of directed learning, fully committing themselves to the process. Proper time management and dedication to all aspects of each course will result in a rewarding and enriching learning experience.
- D.C., Doctor of Chiropractic
- Master of Science in Applied Clinical Nutrition
- CNS- Certified Nutrition Specialist
Favorite Thing About Teaching Online: I enjoy the creativity of teaching online. There are so many wonderful online tools to make the online experience feel like an intimate traditional classroom setting.
- Ed.D. in Educational/Organizational Leadership, Nova Southeastern University
- 6th Year in Educational Leadership, Southern Connecticut State University
- M.S. in Mathematics, Southern Connecticut State University
- B.S. in Criminal Justice, Post University
- B.S. in Mathematics and Secondary Education, Providence College
Best Tip for Online Students: Stay on pace. Create a full term written calendar and carry it with you everywhere you go. Get to know your teacher’s schedule and make sure he or she is aware of your existence (say hello – reach out) in case you should ever need assistance or guidance.
- DCN in Clinical Nutrition
- M.S. Human Nutrition
Favorite Thing About Teaching Online: Teaching online enables us to reach the far corners of the world, to sculpt and develop clinicians. This is drastically needed in the world of chronic disease. With the advanced online classroom technology at UB, we can bring you an “in class” experience right in your home. The days of studying on your own online and feeling unattached are over. UB’s online nutrition program will give you a traditional education experience and as a professor I love this traditional interaction
- Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership, University of Hartford
Best Tip for Online Students: The best tip I can give for online students is that in addition to regularly checking your numeric or letter grade, be sure to check your written qualitative feedback provided by the instructor.
Ph.D., Laval University
Favorite Thing About Teaching Online: I am free to project an entirely positive view of my students from the start and relate to them as if they were all geniuses and saints. As the course moves along, my evaluation will be based entirely on their contribution, not on a potentially misleading first impression in class.
- Doctor of Business Administration, University of Phoenix
- Master of Business Administration (Marketing), University of Bridgeport
- Bachelor of Science (Marketing), Southampton College of Long Island University – Southampton, NY
In addition to his academic accomplishments, Dr. Coughlan has over 30 years of business experience as an entrepreneur, consultant, and a marketing/management professional.
Dr. Coughlan graduated from UB in 1988 with an MBA and still enjoys being connected to one of the institutions that were instrumental in his success
- Doctorate of Business Administration, Ph.D.
- M.B.A., Marketing
- B.B.A., Marketing
Favorite Thing About Teaching Online: The Connectivity and Engagement among Online Student – making a difference globally.
Robust technology designed to optimize your learning experience